Whilst ’empathy’ is a very important element of emotional Intelligence it is just one of 11 elements and there are others that may be easier for us to work on.
Daniel Goleman & Richard E Boyatzis’ 2017 article in HBR outline 11 other elements that you can work on to become more emotionally intelligent including emotional self-control; and emotional self-awareness.
We have found that using Positive Psychology, and in particular the VIA Character Strengths, with teams and individuals can help with developing emotional self-control and emotional self-awareness including building resilience and composure.
How important is it to you for your leaders to model emotional intelligence?
If this resonates with you, please do contact us to find out about more about our half day/whole day workshops and leadership/team building programmes.
Other related events and courses:
- 11 May 19 ‘Yoga for Building Resilience & Composure’
- 21 June 19 ‘Hampshire Thinking Partners Development Day’
- ‘Transforming Virtual Meetings’ – facilitated online course
- 12 Jan – 8 Mar 20 ‘Yoga for Stress Management & Relief’
- 16 Nov 19 ‘Yoga for Building Resilience & Composure’
- Golman D, Boyatzis RE. Intelligence Has 12 Elements. Which Do You Need to Work On? Harvard Business Review. [6 February 2017, cited 7 May 2019]. Available from https://hbr.org/2017/02/emotional-intelligence-has-12-elements-which-do-you-need-to-work-on
© 2019 Latitude Coaching and Consultancy